No Vat on Dubai Salik

VAT Free Salik, RTA clarifies

VAT – Value-added tax is set to roll out across the UAE starting January 1.

No Vat on Dubai Salik

In a huge relief to UAE residents, the Roads and Transport Authority has clarified that value-added tax – VAT – will not be levied on Salik (toll gates) or public transport facilities.

The statement comes after rumours on social media that VAT, which is set to roll out in the UAE from January 1, will also apply on Salik.

“Passengers and commuters of public transport facilities like the buses, metro, tram and maritime transport, as well as cab passengers, will not be subject to VAT,” the authority said in a statement to Khaleej Times.

“The authority has always endeavoured to provide all means of convenience and comfort to customers, and encourage and incentivize them to use the various means of transport in the emirate,” the statement added.

There are seven Salik gates in Dubai, and a toll of Dh4 is automatically deducted from smart tags every time a vehicle passes under these toll gates.

Courtesy KhaleejTimes

Complete guide: How to sponsor your husband or wife in Dubai

Family Visa - Sada Business Centers

Steps to sponsor your wife/husband in Dubai

If you work in Dubai and are unaware how to sponsor your spouse, help is at hand. You can follow some of the simple steps (described below) to sponsor your wife/husband.

Husband sponsoring wife

A resident employed in the UAE can sponsor his wife and children, subject to conditions which include minimum salary of Dh4,000 or Dh3,000 plus accommodation.

Sponsoring more than one wife

A Muslim resident may be allowed to sponsor his two wives, if he meets certain terms and conditions set by the respective GDRFA.

Wife sponsoring husband

Basic category

A wife may sponsor her husband and children if she is earning a basic salary of Dh3,000 plus accommodation or a total salary of Dh4,000 without accommodation if she is a teacher or in any role in the medical sector. (Know the law)

Other category

For woman employed in other category, she may still get approval to sponsor her family if her monthly salary is more than Dh10,000 and with a special permission from the DNRD.

Note: The prevailing regulations in the UAE do not allow a husband to be employed while he is under the sponsorship of his wife. Therefore, upon securing employment in the UAE, the husband will have to cancel visa and obtain an employment visa from the employer.

Mother sponsoring children

A woman can sponsor her children if she holds a residence permit and her monthly salary is not less than Dh10,000 or Dh8,000 plus accommodation. She should have a valid Ejari tenancy contract for her accommodation. She needs to provide additional documents as stipulated by the respective authority.

Further, she will also need to secure a letter of no-objection or NOC from the husband stating that he has no objections with children staying with mother under her sponsorship. The NOC should also be duly notarised and legalised from the home country. She needs to provide additional documents as stipulated by the respective authority.

A single mother can sponsor her child. The authorities might ask for documents similar to those required to sponsor stepchildren.

Sponsoring children above 18

An expatriate resident can sponsor his daughter/s only if she/they is/are unmarried. He can sponsor his son/s only up to the age of 18. If after the age of 18, the son is studying in the UAE or abroad, he can be sponsored until the age of 21 on providing the proof that he is studying.

However, for his residence visa to stay valid, he has to enter the UAE at least once every six months. The resident will need to place a deposit with the respective GDRFA for his son’s visa. The residence visa is granted on a yearly basis, renewable until the person finishes his education.

Sponsoring stepchildren

An expatriate resident can also sponsor his/her stepchildren, subject to GDRFA’s conditions which include a deposit for each child and a written no-objection certificate from the biological parent. Their residence visas are valid for one year; renewable annually.

Documents Required:

Online application or through a registered typing office
Passport copies of wife/husband and children
Photos of wife/husband and children
Medical clearance certificate for the wife/husband and children above 18
Copy of the employment contract or company contract
Salary certificate from the employer stating the employee’s monthly salary
Legalised marriage certificate – attested by UAE authorities (for UAE marriages) or in your home country for spouse sponsorship
Attested tenancy contract, Emirates ID card and labour card
Latest utility bill.

The conditions are subject to change from time to time.

Kindly check with GDRFA of the respective emirate. Below are links to the local GDRFA offices:

.    Abu Dhabi
.    Dubai
.    Sharjah
.    Ajman
.    Umm Al Quwain
.    Ras Al Khaimah
.    Fujairah

– Courtesy KhaleejTimes –

Husband cannot work under wife’s sponsorship

The prevailing regulations in the UAE do not allow a husband to be employed while he is under the sponsorship of his wife.

I work as a teacher, currently in Sharjah. My husband’s residence visa is under my sponsorship (wife’s visa). He is searching for a job. I would like to know if he can work under my sponsorship. Is it legal under MoL rules?

Pursuant to your question it is understood that your husband is residing in the UAE under your sponsorship and that he is currently looking for employment.

The prevailing regulations in the United Arab Emirates do not allow a husband to be employed while he is under the sponsorship of his wife. Therefore upon securing employment in the UAE your husband will have to cancel his current visa and obtain an employment visa from his prospective employer.

Labour regulations

I have been working at the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC) free zone for more than two years. I have now resigned, but my employer is asking me to work for 45 days as notice period without salary. They have also asked me to pay 45 days’ salary as visa charges incurred at the time of hiring. In my contract, the notice period is only 30 days.

Is this legal? Can employers make their own laws in the DMCC free zone?

It is understood that you have been working in a company incorporated at the DMCC and that you have now resigned from your job after working for more than two years. As per your employment contract, you are required to furnish a notice of 30 days prior to resigning but your employer is insisting that you work for 45 days without salary. Accordingly, it may be assumed that you have been working under an employment contract of unlimited duration.

The labour regulations at the DMCC are in accordance with the provisions of Federal Law No 8 of 1980 on Labour Relations (the ‘Labour Law’). As such, if you are working on a contract of unlimited period you may terminate the contract on a notice period of 30 days as per the provisions of Article 117(1) which states: “Both the employer and the worker may terminate a contract of employment of unlimited duration for a valid reason at any time following its conclusion by giving the other party notice in writing at least 30 days before the termination.” The notice-period mentioned on your employment contract is in accordance with this provision of the Labour Law.

Therefore, your employer is not entitled to make you work without pay for any given period as this is in contravention of the aforesaid provision of the Labour Law.

Further, your employer is bound by the employment entered between your employer and you and cannot compel you to work against the provisions of the employment contract and or the Labour Law.

– Courtesy KhaleejTimes –